Anyone who owns a recliner knows that the headrest can get pretty dirty over time. In this blog post, we’re going to show you how to make a recliner headrest cover using some basic supplies from your local fabric store.
This project is a great way to protect your headrest and keep it clean! Let’s get started.
Get These Measurement Tools
Before you can make a recliner headrest cover, you need to gather a few supplies.
Now Measure Your Headrest
With your tape measure, take the following measurements of your recliner headrest:
- The width of the headrest at its widest point
- The height of the headrest from top to bottom
- The thickness of the headrest from front to back
Make A Pattern
Once you have your measurements, it’s time to make a pattern for your cover. On your piece of paper, draw a rectangle that is the same width and height as your headrest. Then, cut out the rectangle. This will be your pattern.
Cut Out The Fabric
Now that you have your pattern, it’s time to cut out the fabric for your cover. Lay your fabric down on a flat surface and place the pattern on top of it. Then, use a pencil or pen to trace around the pattern. Once you’ve traced the pattern onto the fabric, cut it out.
Assemble The Cover
Now that you have all of your pieces cut out, it’s time to assemble the cover.
- First, take the piece of fabric that will be the back of the cover and fold it in half so that the wrong sides are together.
- Then, stitch along the long side and one of the short sides with a sewing machine or by hand.
- Next, take the piece of fabric that will be the front of the cover and fold it in half so that the wrong sides are together. Then, stitch along the long side and one of the short sides with a sewing machine or by hand.
- Once you’ve stitched both pieces of fabric together, open them up so that the right sides are facing out. then, line up the raw edges and stitch them together with a sewing machine or by hand.
- Now, turn the cover right side out and insert your headrest. That’s it! You’re done!
Pro Tip: Looking for the best massage recliners under $2000? This guide will help you find the perfect massage chair for your needs and budget.
2- How To Make A Recliner Headrest Cover
- The first thing you’ll need for this project is 1/2 yard of quilting cotton fabric. You can choose any design or color you like – the sky’s the limit! Once you have your fabric, cut it into two 18″ x 18″ squares.
- Next, take one of the squares and fold it in half, wrong sides together. Sew along the long edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance, then turn the tube right side out and press flat. Repeat this step with the other square of fabric.
- Now, take one of the tubes and slip it over the headrest of your recliner, right side out. The tube should be a bit snug, but not too tight. Repeat this step with the other tube.
- Finally, topstitch around the entire edge of each tube to secure it in place. And that’s it – you’re done! Your new recliner headrest cover will keep your headrest clean and protected for years to come.
How To Clean The Recliner Backrest Cover
If your recliner backrest cover is starting to look a bit dirty, don’t worry – it’s easy to clean! Just follow these simple steps and your cover will look good as new in no time.
- First, remove the cover from the headrest. Most covers are easy to take off, but if yours is a bit more difficult, consult your recliner’s manual for instructions.
- Next, vacuum the cover to remove any loose dirt or debris. If there are any spots that look particularly dirty, you can pre-treat them with a stain remover before laundering.
- Once the cover is vacuumed, it’s time to wash it. Most covers can be machine-washed on a gentle cycle using warm water and mild detergent. However, if your cover is made of delicate fabric or is very soiled, you may want to hand-wash it instead.
- After washing, dry the cover completely. You can either line-dry it or tumble-dry it on low heat. Once the cover is dry, put it back on the headrest and enjoy your clean, fresh-looking recliner!
Pro Tip: Are you looking for the best recliner after shoulder surgery? If so, then review this article: best recliner after shoulder surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is slipcover better than backrest cover for recliners?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as it depends on personal preferences. Some people prefer backrest covers because they are easier to remove and wash, while others find that slipcovers provide a more snug and secure fit. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide which type of cover is best for their needs.
Why cotton fabric is good for headrest cover?
Cotton is a popular choice for headrest covers because it is soft, durable, and easy to care for. Cotton fabric is also breathable, which helps to keep the headrest cool and comfortable. Additionally, cotton is a natural material that is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, making it a good option for people with allergies or sensitivities.
That’s it! Now you know how to make a recliner headrest cover using some basic supplies from your local fabric store. This project is a great way to protect your headrest and keep it clean
We hope you found this guide helpful and that you’ll be able to put your new skills to good use! Thanks for following along.